Wednesday, March 22, 2017

History Day Reflection

     For my History Day project I worked with Sophie Stever. We decided to do a group exhibit. Our exhibit was on a few of the different people/groups who stood up to Hitler. We researched Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and White Rose resistance group. My favorite part about this project was designing the board. I liked getting creative and planning everything out. I really like how the board ended up looking.
     I found the leaflets White Rose wrote and their quotes all very interesting. It was inspiring to see that you can take a stand through writing. Their quotes were all very deep and meaningful. I found White Rose a interesting group because of the way they stood up. The last leaflet White Rose wrote was smuggled out of the country. Millions of copies were made and then dropped by air over Germany. I think it is cool that somebody agreed with what they wrote so much that they made millions of copies and dropped them over Germany. Its really interesting how others agreed with what they wrote and took a stand because of them.
     The hardest part of History Day was the word count. For exhibits you could only use 500 words. To me that's not enough. It was especially hard for use because we researched 3 different things. I had to leave out some things. We even had to get rid of a whole topic! We didn't get to write everything we wanted to because of the word limit. If we wouldn't have had a word count this project wouldn't have been nearly as stressful. 
     This project helped me improve as a learner. It helped me understand why we need good sources. The bibliographies helped show that we really need to find information from each site. During the process of this project I learned so much more about different sides of Hitler, not just one. History Day made me more aware of the type of things we will have to do in the future. I learned more about taking good notes and why it's so important.
     Between now and History Day I want to improve our bibliographies. I think they were a rushed and could be a little better. We need to fix a few things on our board. Sophie needs to reprint her captions. I also want to improve the citations. We need to make sure they are correct and we have all the right information.
     Throughout this experience I am most proud of our board. It is very neat. Everything worked well on the board. Our exhibit has all the needed information without to much. I am most proud of this because I didn't expect it to turn out so good. I had a vision of it, but the real thing is better. Our board is very organized and flows nicely. You can tell we put a lot of effort into it. The exhibit reflects how much time we put in. I am very proud of the way it turned out.
     Our topic relates to the theme: taking a stand in history. All of the people/groups we research took a stand in their own way. Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya joined a resistance movement and march for her beliefs. Dietrich Bonhoeffer worked at a church that helped rescue Jews. White Rose wrote leaflets describing their thoughts and spray painted signs telling people to take a stand. They all inspired others to take a stand. Every one of them stood up for what the believed during a very harsh time. They chose others over themselves. Our topic really shows that people stood up for what they believed in no matter what the consciences.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment